CC photo by Yanngarphoto.wordpress.com
School Counselling is so important in every school. It is an essential service that is often not paid enough attention to sadly. What I absolutely know is that school counsellors save lives every day in the world. Some might not think that to be true, but I know that when school counsellors are working with students who are at risk they make a difference. What they do in their offices is preventative work and may go unnoticed because school counsellors can’t tell you what happened because of confidentiality.They might have just saved the life of a child who otherwise would not be around to tell their story.
Social media is also assisting students and school counsellors in a positive way. The work of Dr. Erin Mason @ecmmason, who created SCOPE is helping school counsellors every day in every way . Dr. Erin Mason from SCOPE is fantastic. School Counsellors in Canada and the especially the US are on board with new developments in school counselling and are connecting to even make things better for students everywhere.
Danielle Schultz @sch_counselor ,the founder of School Counselor Blog is also a leader in the field. You can often find her leading #scchat or sharing great information on her blog.
Speaking of #scchat, it always amazes me that when educational chats are listed usually school counsellor chats are not posted. I know that will change as school counsellors become even more active in many spaces on social media.
Below I am going to list some of the great leaders in school counselling and if I miss anyone I appologize as I KNOW you are doing amazing work with students.
- Erin Luong @eHordyskiLuong (Alberta,Canada)
- Julia V. Taylor @juliavtayor (Richmond, VA,US)
- Kaudri Auvaart @Kadriblaster (Australia)
- Michelle Brown @Michelle0102197 (Canada)
- Tamica Collard @TamicaCollard (Texas,US)
- Chris Polley @Teaching_Intl (Shanghai, China)
- Trent Langdon @TrentLangdonNL (Newfoundland, Canada)
- Darrell Sampson @CnslrDarrell (Arlington Virginia,US)
- Brian Zink @Brian_Zink (Guadalajara, Mexico)
- Rebecca Lallier SchCounselingByHeart (Vermont, US)
- Jeremy Goldman @MRJGoldman (Lutherville Maryland,US)
- ABurston @jyjcounselor (US)
- Rick Scheibner @rick_scheibner (Hermiston Oregon, US)
- Marci Newman ARHSCounselor (UT,US)
- Amy Sather @AmySatherBlair (Blair Nebraska, US)
- Jeannine Jervis @CounselorELEM (Indiana,US)
- Susan Langan @csfml (Cedar Falls Iowa, US)
- Carol Miller @tmscounselor (US)
- Randi Rosenberg @RandiCounsels (Northern Virginia,US)
- SchCnslrsRock @SchCnslrsRock (US)
- Fanciene Sabens @FSabens (US)
- Marty Stevens@martylstevens (Shiremanstown, PA) who writes the Gratitude Journal
- Jeff Ream @CounselingGeek (US)
This list would not be complete without the work of a fantastic school counsellor advocate Russell Sabella @rsabella who is a Professor at Florida Gulf Coast University , or Carli Segal @carlicounsels and Dr. Kevin Kelly @EmmausKevinK who are leading #sbmhchat School Based Mental Health Chat another excellent chat related to school counselling.
If you are a school counsellor from another part of the world please connect with us on twitter as we have so much to share and we can help each other grow professionally. It is an amazing opportunity for us to learn together. Please put that you are a school counsellor in your descriptor and if you feel comfortable please put where you are from.
TOP SCHOOL COUNSELLOR CHATS
For more information about #SCCHAT (School Counselor Twitter Chats, montly school counsellor chats on Twitter, visit http://bit.ly/scchat-info. #SCCHAT Tweet Up!
I would so love to see more Canadian School Counsellors #cscchat to be active on twitter and I will do my best to encourage other educators to encourage their school counsellors to join. We are entering into a new way of connecting with each other that will only benefit our students and the educational systems even more.
Please click below to view the Haiku Deck on School Counselling:
http://www.haikudeck.com/p/wlK5Q1ceFG/why-school-counselling . Please feel free to edit and share.
6 thoughts on “There Are So Many Amazing School Counsellors Doing So Many Fabulous Things”
Susan you should have placed yourself at the top of the list for innovation and leadership within Calgary and across Canada .
I agree Erin. It is great to see the other people, whom I will now be following. It is a lengthy process getting Adelaide counsellors connecting to twitter. I really appreciate connecting with the both of you…..we are all inhabitants of this small planet!
I love your post, but as far as school counselors and twitter is concerned, you are a true leader. Your blog is great!
Great list and totally agree on the list of folks!! My counseling heros!