Often times we do not take the time to celebrate what we do , so this can sometimes lead to the public not understanding our role. I would encourage all school counsellors to celebrate what you do all year long , not just during school counselling week.
School Counsellors can collaborate in many ways :
(thanks to @counselingeek for a great vlog )
- Google docs
- Using livebinders
- Haiku Decks
What ways do you collaborate?
Happy National School Counselling week my fellow US counsellors and Happy Canadian School Counsellor week to all my fellow Canadians. I hope School Counsellors from across the world will join us in collaborating Internationally.
Congratulations to School Counselor Online Professional Exchange (SCOPE) on your new space. It is a great place for counsellors to collaborate and share ideas and resources.
Please take a look at some of the great things counsellors are doing to celebrate School Counselling:
- I like this article by Patrick O’Connor Why You Should Celebrate School Counselling Week. In it he says that ” many principals think we should change schedules instead of lives”. I have been extremely fortunate in my career as a School Counsellor in that my principals have felt the exact opposite. They have definately believed that we should change lives instead of schedules. I know that may not be true for some of you and I am very hopeful that the perception of what School Counsellors actually do is changing and will impact the Future Of School Counselling in a positive way. I also believe many counsellors in our School District are very well trained when it comes to knowing how to help students apply for college. We also have excellent Career Practitioners in our District as well who assist us in this role.
- This is a great audio broadcast celebrating School Counsellors with a supportive principal.
- A blog celebrating the whole child.
- Some great tips for the celebration.
- Celebrating @rawolfson’s new blog.
- Another great article from a principals perspective on the role of the school counsellor.
Hope you are celebrating what you do every day . I have absolutely loved this career and would not change the choice of what I chose to do, but would love to see changes to the understanding and support of the role for the school counsellor. Please share all you do to support students. One life of a child is worth everything. We are fortunate to be able to make a difference every day. I am grateful to be working alongside my fantastic colleagues Peter Damen and Marc Osenton. Thanks for all you do for students and for making me want to go to work every day. I am honoured to work with you.