I have been to many school counselling conferences over the years, but this one was different why?
1. CONNECTING : As much as I loved Michelle Obama and I did believe me. I’ll share more about that later. I love connecting with people in real life, people that can and do support you, people that make a difference in your life and you get to share that F2F. Twitter allows you to do that. It really does! So many school counsellors have not quite figured that out yet. Twitter helps you do what you do and do it better. Ultimately impacting our students in so many positive ways.
As you can see from the video my favorite part of #ASCA14 was connecting with so many school counsellors in one space. I need to thank my wonderful roomie @bridgethelms. I want to thank her nephew and friend for helping make my experience in Orlando so enjoyable. Also a big thanks to @FSabens for rescuing me when I could not leave Orlando because of the storm. Thank heavens for twitter again. To Danielle Schultz @sch_counselor it was my pleasure to sit down and chat and learn about the many wonderful things that you do. There are so many extraordinary school counsellors that I met F2 F in Orlando and for that I am extremely grateful. Look out world there are many more amazing things to come from these vibrant, intelligent, caring school counsellors.
What difference did twitter make? Well because of the twitter connections I have made I could come to Orlando by myself and NOT feel alone in any way. I had not met any one of my twitter friends F2 F before the conference, so it was fabulous to feel like I was coming to a reunion with so many who had impacted me in my profession in such a positive way and who were so helpful online. I can thank twitter and our twitter chats #scchat and #SCCrowd for making my conference experience so much more enriching.
2. COLLABORATING: I met counsellors from all over the world that I plan on collaborating with in the future It might be in a hangout or maybe just on twitter. However, I most certainly will look forward to the future collaborations that will help me and our students.
3. CARING: I met so many fun and caring school counsellors that it gives me much HOPE for the future of school counselling. Check out these fine people :
And of course to @rawolfon and @ConnieMWard who led the #notatasca14 chat . I missed you. @EHordyskiLuong and @charlieosenten amazing Canadian School Counsellors I know you were following along and may join in next time!
4. CONTINUING EDUCATION: I absolutely loved the session School Counselling: Running Groups on a Duct Tape Budget Yes, duct tape there are so many ways to impact student in groups using duct tape. If you ever get a chance to go this session in the future , please do it was fantastic and so much fun.
Ed Jacobs and Group Counselling techniques. Go to downloads from here. I never get tired of Ed’s sessions and although we have become lifelong friends ( I met him at a conference fifteen years ago in Florida) , I love hearing him present along with his co presenter Dr. Chris Schimmel. This is a must see at any conference you go to.
Branding and Marketing Your School Counselling Program. Jeff and Jeremy give wonderful tips on how to market the amazing School Counselling Program that you have developed in your school. This session is especially great for those new to the profession.
Resources: For the best notes ever check out @FSabens . It is like you are there with her.
Franciene’s ( Notes )
So many resources: Check out these posts:
Check out the local news with some of my favorite school counsellors @bridget helms @tmscounselor and @MrSchoolCounselr here.
5. COMPASSION: As for seeing Michelle Obama @flotus well it was an absolute highlight. She epitomized compassion . I am not American, but felt she was directly talking to Canadian School Counsellors. Everytime she said a gem I would edit to make it that she was talking to Canadians, talking directly to me and others like me. The ripple effect of her message will undoubtedly affect students and school counsellors from across the world now and for years to come.
#ASCA14 for me was definitely a conference with a difference because of my connections on twitter, the great people I met and having the privledge to see Michelle Obama who was extraordinary. How often will I have the opportunity to see and listen to an amazing role model with a message like she did that will have the impact to create change for students and school counsellors? This was most likely a once in a lifetime event for me.
To all the School Counsellors worldwide . Keep making a difference and stay connected and even though you were #notatasca you can live virtually through others especially on twitter. I look forward to the next time our paths cross maybe on twitter and hopefully in a chat #SCCrowd or #scchat. Until next time. For now it’s time for self-care on the beaches in Nova Scotia.
“With every life you transform, with every life you save, you all have an impact that is truly beyond measure,” Michelle Obama
8 thoughts on “Conference With A Difference #ASCA14”
Sounds amazing, Susan!thanks for sharing!
It really was Janley. Thanks for your comment.
Another wonderfully inspiring article! I come away from conferences with the same mixture of appreciation, inspiration, and awe that you’ve captured here–they are wonderfully intense opportunities to interact with and learn from the best of our colleagues, and I can’t imagine not having them as part of my learning landscape.
Thanks Paul: I always appreciate your thoughtful comments. How truly blessed we really are to come away from these experiences even more enriched by the people that have touched our lives.
Wonderful post, Susan, thank you for sharing! And thanks for using Haiku Deck to capture those great moments! It’s a great example of enriching the experience at conferences and events, as we mention in our blog post here: http://blog.haikudeck.com/enrich-conferences-and-events-with-haiku-deck/
And how exciting to have seen Michelle Obama speak; really wish we could have been there with you!
Haiku Deck Customer Evangelist
Thanks for for collecting and organizing so many great resources from the conference. I am so kicky to have you as a colleague, mentor and friend.
I appologize.. the above comment should say lucky, not kicky. Auto correct on the ipad snuck up on the at the last minute…