Picture by Julia C
- REACH OUT it is important to reach out to friends , family, and people you trust.
- REALIZE SMALL STEPS MATTER when you are trying to cope it all depends on what you have to cope with every small step you make towards being able to cope matters.
- REALISTIC EXPECTATIONS if you are trying to cope with something serious the process to feel better could take a long time and you may require supports. Set realistic expectations of yourself.
- REMEMBER TO BREATHE breathing helps. You can learn breathing techniques that can assist you in life. Ask your School Counsellor to help you.
- REMEMBER TO NOURISH YOURSELF drink your water and eat things that make your brain work better.
- REVIEW YOUR SELF TALK what you say to yourself matters. Learn new ways of talking to yourself that are helpful and positive.
- RECREATION CAN HELP you may like to do Art , exercise or any other recreational activity like music that can heal and help you.
- REMIND yourself that there is hope and help. You can …
- REFLECT on what has worked in the past and what could work in the present and future.
- REACH OUT FURTHER you may need to see a School Counsellor or therapist. It is OK to seek help. For more serious concerns you may need a Psychiatrist or other helping professionals to work with you on a team. YOU MATTER, so you need to know reaching out for as many supports as you need is a sign of strength.
A: Attitude: Your attitude matters
B: Books : Read a book on the topic you are trying to cope with can help.
Beliefs Challenge your thoughts about the topic: Be positive! Books can be healing!
C: Caring and compassion make a difference: Helping others helps you to focus on others not on your problems. Random Acts of Kindness lead to greater happiness for you and others.
D: Decide that you need to take care of yourself.
E: Exercise is always helpful. You are able exercise 10-15 mins. each day. You can do it!
F: Find great strategies that work for you. Ask your friends what works for them.
G: Give yourself a break. Say to yourself I am more than … my grades, my size, etc.
H: Hope . It is so important to maintain a hopeful perspective . Help others ! When you help others less fortunate you help yourself.
I : Invite others to help you : Kids Help Phone.
J: Just be yourself.
K: Kindness is always a good thing.be kind to yourself. Do a Random Acts of Kindness for someone else today.
L: Listen to music . It soothes the soul.
M: Mindfulness matters. Focus on your breath. Here are some tips for teens.
N: Naming game: 54321 Exercise.
O: Open your mind to new strategies. Try a positive method of coping that you haven’t tried before. maybe try painting and get in the flow. It can make a difference.
P: Positive self talk matters.
Q: Quite your mind. Be still!
S: Strategies: the more you have the better. Here are 99.
T: Trust: that your feelings will not last forever. Feelings are neither right nor wrong they are just feelings. It is what you do with them that matters.
U: Understanding your coping skills matters.
V: Visualize what you want.
W: Watch a funny show to get your mind off all the serious stuff.
X: A to Z list.
Y: YOU MATTER . Remember who matters.
Z: Get some zzz’s
You can learn to cope. Connecting with the right people can help you cope in an effective manner. Hopefully the above list will give you new ways of coping and if you have a great way of coping please share your ideas!
One thought on “Coping Skills for Adolescents”