One of my all time favourite educators and authors is Leo F Buscaglia. I started Hug Days in my school district because of Leo in the days when it was ok to hug students. I still believe it is ok to hug students , recognizing boundaries and always being respectful of students and their boundaries.
What did I learn from Leo that I still think applies to students and myself today? Here are some of the lessons i learned from the amazing Leo Buscaglia:
- Be passionate
- Love learning , love life, love yourself, love …
“Perhaps love is the process of leading you gently back to yourself” Saint -Exupery
- Make yourself into the best person you can be, because you are all you have
- Schools should be the most joyful places in the world
- Be spontaneous
- Live fully alive
“Oh God , to have reached the point of death,only to have found that you have never lived at all ” Don Quixote
- Leo wanted us to live fully to enjoy every single moment of life
from another Leo more wisdom comes …
“I think the purpose of life is to be useful,
to be responsible, to be honorable, to be compassionate.
It is, after all, to matter: to count, to stand for something,
to have made some difference that you lived at all.”
- Accentuate what is right instead of focusing on what is wrong
- Feel free to make mistakes and learn from them
- Believe in change
- Every time we learn something new we become something new
- You control your destiny
- Stop looking for or striving for perfection
- Life isn’t always easy, but rise to the challenge to face life head on
“Everyone needs at least one person to love them no matter what ” Leo Buscgalia
- Be that someone for someone
- You need a path with a heart
- Be real , be you
- There is so much more to know, to be, to do
A favorite question Leo liked to ask was … If you only had five days to live, how would you spend them? With whom?
We need to always reflect on this and live … fully live.
- Death teaches us what love is
- Ask yourself “What are YOU giving to life?’
If you have never read Leo Buscaglia’s books do it now.The lessons are timeless. These lessons are from Living, Loving and Learning by Leo Buscaglia. Stay tuned for more lessons from Leo.