We are School Counsellors
- We chose this profession. It is the best profession ever. All professions have struggles. Focus on the positive. Work towards making things better by being an advocate for other School Counsellors. Join your professional organization, have a voice on twitter and /or write a blog celebrating all the amazing things that happen in our profession.
- Self care is so important to what we do. We can’t help others if we don’t help ourselves.
- Embrace your professionalism. You were trained well. Be ethical. Consult, consult consult.
- Model a positive attitude towards work each and everyday.Your students will notice and feel it when you set the tone in your school and in your offices.
- Be a good digital citizen. Be authentic , but if you need to vent do so privately and with colleagues in counselling who understand. Never vent online.
- Connecting and collaborating makes us better at what we do. Collaboration has made me better at what I do. It actually makes the work I do easier. Share , connect and collaborate. It will make you a better professional.
- Passion and purpose help our students. If we wake up with the mindset that we have an awesome responsibility to help others today knowing that each and everyday we have an opportunity to make a difference. We don’t always see the fruits of our labour , but that’s ok because we know that the small things we do can have a huge impact.
- You are you. Be the best version of yourself. Don’t get caught up in comparing yourself to any other School Counsellor. Continually focus on professionally developing yourself so that you impact students in a positive way.
- Live every day One Day At a Time. Easy to say , not easy to do. Focus all of your energies on making this the best day ever. Just for today I will … laugh.
- Maintain gratitude for the work that we do. Being grateful for what we do rather than focusing on the things that we are not happy about is always a great state of mind. We chose this profession. I am grateful everyday that I did.
3 thoughts on “A School Counsellors Mindset”
Lovely thoughts from you, as always; I’m reading this as I’m immersed in the ATD (Association for Talent Development) 2016 International Conference & Exposition here in Denver, and I shared a link to it via a tweet using the conference hashtag (#atd2016) because it so clearly fits in with basic elements all of us need to be considering in and through the work we do. Thanks for taking the time to write it.
As always Paul, I appreciate your kind words.Enjoy the conference! Always glad we stay connected!