As professionals in schools we certainly need down time more than most people know or can truly understand. This summer has been outstanding for me and I hope it has for you as well. I hope you have had the rest you deserve as it will impact your students for this upcoming year in a positive way.
This is my second year not going back to school in September and it does feel strange. I love school and always have. I guess that is why I have been in school, teaching school, volunteering and counselling in schools for 55 years. How fortunate am I to have had so much time surrounded by young people and the energy that they and being in schools bring.
As you head into your buildings as an educator or counsellor remind yourself of why you chose this profession. September can be a very stressful time not only for students, but for educators. So take time to think …
- Just for Today I will be the one to help
- Just for Today I will make a difference in a student’s life
- Just for Today I will look for the good in everyone in my building
- Just for today I will know that I am meant to be in the school this year helping these students
- Just for Today I will treat myself and those around me with kindness and compassion
- Just for Today I have a purpose
The summer may have ended , but a new exciting school year is about to begin one that can change the trajectory of a student’s life. For one child it may mean saving their life. For another you may be the first adult who has ever heard their story and been able to help. For you it may mean that your life has a renewed purpose one you can most certainly be grateful for. Yes, the summer may be ending, but for you it is the beginning of a new school year. Enjoy!