As a School Counsellor you have many roles to play and from personal experience I know sometimes we get caught up in all the daily things that need to get done . So just for today why not aim for improving the lives of your students and better yet why not look for ways to improve your own life. Amy Fast @fastcrayon says , “we don’t do what we do in schools to get good results/ data. We do what we do to improve the lives of humans. Good academic results are the byproduct. If we only aim for data, we may not succeed in improving lives. But , if we aim for improving lives the data will always follow”
First let me start with a few questions.
- What are ways you feel hopeful that you can improve the lives of your students? How do you instill hope in your students?
- How do you help those that are struggling academically, socially emotionally?
- How do you educate the mind and the heart?
- How do help students love learning , life and living positively as a good citizen in their community and in the world?
- How do you build healthy meaningful relationships with students and help them to do the same?
- How do you help students feel a sense of belonging?
- How do you assist students in finding their purpose and passion?
- How do you help students make better choices?
- How do you create a spark in a child’s eye so that they can become the people they are meant to be?
- How can you make a difference in the lives of the students you serve, academically , socially, emotionally , physically and spiritually?
- How can you collaborate with others to improve the lives of students so that they know how much they matter and can be successful in school and in life?
Reflection makes us all better and in the end it not only helps us improve our own lives, but also the lives of those we work with. Let’s start with you and your worth and then let’s move on to students. How can you improve your own life? :
If you take good care of yourself you will be better able to assist students in improving their lives. Every day you as a School Counsellor reach out to help make students lives better. Keep doing the amazing work you do every day and keep on reflecting. As a Professional School Counsellor you can and do make an impact and a difference every day in oh so many ways.