This year I was so lucky to be at Ascension Elementary and Junior High School as a part-time counsellor for #pinkshirtday. In discussion with students we decided on the theme YOU ARE WORTH MORE THAN GOLD . You can get an idea of how our celebration went below .
A couple of weeks before the celebration ALL students at Ascension got to make 5 ART CARDS where they were to celebrate their champions, those people who are worth more than gold in their lives. We displayed the beautiful cards on a couple of bulletin boards. You can see our singers from Notre Dame and Diefenbaker standing in front of some of them .
Students made 5 cards each and are going to eventually give those cards to their champions. You can see a few of the great cards below.
- We started the celebration off with a slide show shared by one of our grade 6 students. You can find it here called One Kind Word.
- A student from Notre Dame sang a beautiful rendition of Brave.
- 3 grade 7 students sang Don’t You Worry by Star.
- A grade 8 student did slam poetry on anti bullying.
- The Bishop Carroll High School Sassy Jazz singers sang two great songs that students clapped along to.
- Then we showed this version of your worth more than gold that the students loved …
- 5 of our most important people in the school received YOU ARE WORTH MORE THAN GOLD trophies., Our caretaker, our librarian and our three of front office superstars.
- Students from ECS to grade 6 all stood up front flipping the letters to YOU ARE WORTH MORE THAN GOLD spreading the message to all their classmates.
- To end we had a student from John D Diefenbaker sing a beautiful rendition of Perfect which was a perfect way to end our celebration.
As students left for the morning they all got a gold piece of chocolate and a positive affirmation . We also had dogs around all day to be with our students.
I love working with elementary and junior high students. They helped bring awareness to an always important topic anti-bullying and hopefully our new generation of young
people will grow up more aware than ever that it is always cool to be kind and will understand the message that they are worthwhile.
YOU ARE WORTH MORE THAN GOLD will never get old.