I have been an educator since 1980 and a School Counsellor since 1999, but never have I been so passionate about School Counsellors across the world having a collective voice for the students we serve as well as being a support for each other. As I get ready for retirement I am no less passionate about what I do and what we do in this profession.
I am so hoping during Canadian School Counselling Week and National School Counselling Week #NSCW17 that others across the world will step up and let us hear their voice. Be an advocate for this profession. A special thank you to my American colleagues who often step up to be heard and have made transformative changes in attitudes and practice for School Counselors.
There are so many ways to do this .
- Speak up in your district
- Take on leadership roles at the district, local , provincial, state, and national levels
- Get someone like Michelle Obama to be an advocate for you “School Counselors You Are Heroes”
- Post ideas on twitter, facebook, instagram
- Blog, vlog, and/ or podcasts
- Share your BIG ideas on advocacy
- Share, share, share (we are better together)
- You can make a difference
- You do make a difference
- You can make change
- You can stand up for students and your profession
I am a better person because I collaborate with other School Counsellors. Collaborate with others in your own school, others on-line and others who are and are not educators who all want the same thing a better life for our students.
Let your voice be heard. There are so many counsellors who are focused, determined and willing to give hope to School Counsellors and their students. I would love to see more School Counsellors from across the world STAND UP, SPEAK OUT, and SHARE your wonderful knowledge to others across the world who care as much as you do.
You can if we collaborate with others and one of the best ways to do that is to join us each month as we chat on-line using the hashtag #SCCHAT
Most importantly be grateful for all those who work together to make this a better profession. The unheard heroes who work tirelessly everyday to be the best School Counsellors they can be.
- help the most vulnerable of our populations
- that go the extra mile in the caring department
- assist students across the finish line of graduation
- do small things that matter , but they never find out until years later
- save lives, but are silent
- spread HOPE daily
Remember you are that leader. Don’t wait to be asked , take action TODAY! Yes you, no matter where you are a School Counsellor in the world ,YOU have a voice. Don’t just listen … be that voice so that together we can make not only the positive changes in our own communities that we want , but maybe we can make a change and a difference for some child somewhere in another part of the world that we never imagined we would.
TOP SCHOOL COUNSELLORS TO FOLLOW : here
Worth saying again:
Celebrate what you do with students. Celebrate other School Counsellors and educators every chance you can.